Original painting 18" x 24", Oil on board, 1991
RRS John Biscoe, 1,584 grt was launched at Paisley in June 1956 replacing an earlier vessel of the same name. She has operated every season for 35 years until 1991 as a supply ship relieving the many British Antarctic Survey stations each summer and supporting field parties engaged in many aspects of scientific work throughout the British Antarctic Survey area of interest.
The station on Signy Island, South Orkney Islands carries out a broad range of biological work from inshore marine research to terrestrial botany. There are laboratories and a marine aquarium. These studies require year round diving operations, which in winter are carried out through holes cut in the sea ice.
Approaching Signy is on display at the British Antarctic Survey headquarters.
Image size of print 10.5" x 14.5"
Return to Home page Prints