Two of the support vessels carrying supplies for the Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition of 1955-58 (TAE) were the Theron and the Magga Dan. In this painting, Magga Dan is shown hove-to in dense pack ice on its way to the main base of Shackleton on the Filchner Ice Shelf when she was transporting the main crossing party in 1956-57. The Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition successfully completed the first crossing of Antarctica in March 1958 from the Weddell Sea to the Ross Sea via the South Pole as part of the International Geophysical Year of 1957-58. Picture is based on a photo by Dr Phillip Law. The commission was to produce a painting of the vessel in her working environment to complement a large radio-controlled model of the boat.
40 x 50 cm, (15¾ x 19¾ inches), Oil on Canvas, 2008
return to Commissions